1. Instead of blow drying your hair put it in rollers or wrap it to keep it soft and healthy.
2. To keep ends from drying out of splitting, apply shea butter (in most african, or botanica stores) to the ends only. Apply deep conditioner to the rest of your hair and go under dryer for 10 mins. on medium heat. Cholesterol conditioner can be subsituted for the shea butter.
3. If you run out of mousse or gel, use conditioner, it will give you nice curls, but don't apply too much or you'll look like you have a bad case of dandruff.
4. One of the oldest tricks in the book for healthy hair is Avocado. Blend a whole ripe avocado, teaspoon of olive oil and 1/2 cup of water. Put on hair and leave on for 1 hour.
Please DONOT go under the dryer or you'll have a salad dressing on you're head!
5. To completely remove residue from your hair add 3 tablespoons baking soda and shampoo to your hair. Let it sit for five minutes and rinse.
6. When you've left the hair color on too long go for the dandruff shampoo as soon as you rinse. It will take the excess out.
7. To add homemade highlights, add lemon to strands of hair and sit in the sun for awhile. Do this sparingly because this could be damaging to dry hair.
8. To enhance your color or for a pick-me-up between colorings add these ingredients for your hair type:
Light hair: Brew a cup of chamomile tea. Let it stand until room temperature. Spray or comb into dry hair.Leave it on for half an hour and then rinse.
Brew an expresso or any strong coffee. Spray or comb into dry hair. Leave on for half an hour and rinse.
9. To avoid breaking/damaging hair, comb in shower with a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is in.
10. I know a girl with hair down to her calfs. She says she puts 2 raw eggs with a little water in her hair once a week as a conditioner. Rinse out with cool water. (You don't want scrambled eggs!). *
11. Homemade hair spray - dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar into a glass of hot water. Let it cool. Use in a spray bottle. *
12. A hair stylist told me a homemade dandruff shampoo recipe - mash 30 asprin tables. Add to shampoo bottle. *
13. Fabric softener is a really good leave-in conditioner. It's very strong so dilute. 1 cup water+1/2 cup fabric softener. *
14. Trim hair at least every three months to get rid of split ends which damage hair and cause breakage. *
15. My boyfriend's aunts owns a hair salon (they are dominicanas). I learned alot about hair care from them, here is how to do a perfect blow-out...
a. use a very high watt blowdryer (at least 1800 watts) and good brushes.
b. separate hair into small sections, make sure hair is completely knotless.
c. put a leave-in conditioner or light defrizzer if needed.
d. blowbry sections on high setting with a wide width round brush, starting at the back of the head until hair is completely dry. Blow dry from the different angles pulling hair alittle to make sure it drys straight (DONT put dryer too close to hair or it will burn.
e. use large paddle brush to smooth, use a medium or small width round brush on the ends for a little bounce/curl. Finish with a light spray or hair sheen and hair spray.
f. if hair is naturally curly (like mine), put hair in rollers and let dry first to get your hair really straight when you blowdry.
1. Well my future mother-in-law swears by this mask and uses it on a weekly basis, and believe me for a woman in her forties she looks great. a) Cook instant or regular oatmeal. b) let cool and mix a little honey and vitamin E (as described in #7). c) Apply and alow to dry, about 15 minutes. Rinse. This recipe is also good in a bath, add some candles and music and you're good to go!
2. I do this tip on a weekly basic and because I'm prone to those time of the month pimples, it helps to extract the dirt from the pores. a) Fill up bathroom sink with hot water. b) Get a comfy chair or stool and towel, bend towards sink making sure not to touch the water, and cover your head so that the steam will not escape from the towel. c) Stay their for about 10-15 mins. d) follow with a MILD astringent such as witch hazel (as described in #5).
3. To make your eyes look less puffy nad red, apply white eyeliner on the inner corner of the eye and on the lower eye lid
4. I got this tip from someone that visited the site and have found it to work for me... Use toothpaste on a pimple. Completely cover the pimple each day until it disappears!
5. For a cheap effective astringent use one part fresh lemon juice and two parts water. Apply with cotton ball. Also effective alternatives are Rose water and Witch hazel. Rubbing alcohol is used but is harmful for the skin. There's never any reason to rinse any of these toners.
6. For acne-prone skin use milk of magnesia as a mask once a week. Apply right from the bottle and leave on untill it is dry(about 5-10 mins).
7. I used to have problem skin but have found pure vitamin E to be extremely helpful. I just take a capsule once a day.
8. If you have foundation that is alittle too dark for your skin, mix alittle with your daily moisturizer. It will give you a nice glow.
9. "For perfect skin and no pimples, smother raw egg yolk over your face and leave for 15-20 minutes it really makes a difference!!" (Thanx TAS for this tip!)
10. "For flaky dry skin on the face: Mix sugar and water, not
too much, and apply it on my skin and gently message for a few minutes. After I rinsed it off, it left my skin very soft, less dry and it didnt leave it oily like most moistorizers do." (Thanx MEXLOWRYDERHYNA3 for this tip!)
11. To get rid of the redness of a pimple, put on some visine, it takes away the redness.
12. Natural masks: Mayonnaise (for dry skin) - apply to face. Leave on for 20 mins. Rinse with cool water.
Tomato (for oily skin) - mash up ripe tomato, leave on 15-20 mins. Rinse with warm water.
Banana (firming mask) - mash very ripe banana, add enough honey to make a paste. Apply to face (also good for hair). Rinse. *
13. Homemade fade cream - mix juice of 1 lemon, 1 lime, 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 ounces of plain yogurt. massage into each spot. Use often. *
14. For dark elbows and knees - add the juice of 3 lemons to 1 cup of powdered milk. Use enough water to make a paste. Leave on for 20 minutes, scrub off with a sponge of loofah. *
15. Pimples - apply calamine lotion at night to take away the rash like appearance; Apply an ice cube directly on the inflamed pimple. Follow up with a dab of bacitracin or hydrocortisome cream. *